Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Woodward - for the long run

I must say, since my training last April I think I forgot what it was like to feel the pains in my knees and feet after a semi-long run.  Now I remember.  The last two weeks have been forgettable in terms of training...I was sick and then last week was my 'getting back on track' week.  Originally I had intended to run yesterday outside, but in my haste to take advantage of the one day this week that didn't have snow in the forecast and get some errands done it was suddenly 8:30pm and I hadn't run yet.  Oops.  So today I headed to the gym with some friends for a semi-long run...unfortunately on a treadmill since we are in the midst of yet another snow storm here in Boston!  Melissa cleverly pointed out to me that the Woodward treadmill was different than the other ones, and was supposed to be easier on the knees.  It also had the slogan 'For the long run' on it, so clearly it was for me.  I have to say that it did feel different than the other treadmills I had been running on - bouncier, for lack of a better term.  I ran alongside Thatcher, another friend of mine, for 1.34 miles before Melissa notified us that the basketball court was now unoccupied.  For the next hour or so the four of us played knockout, 2 v 2, and 'horsies' - kind of like horse, just with two more letters since we weren't very good.  But don't be fooled!  Our lack of skill didn't translate into a lack of competitiveness - put a few hockey players together and...well...it's not your average pick up game.  We had a lot of fun, but after an hour of chasing the basketball around the idea of hopping back on the treadmill for another 4.7 miles wasn't very appealing.  I knew I had to push through though, so I somehow made it through for a total of 6 miles on the treadmill plus an hour of basketball.  Not a bad day at the gym!  But after two weeks of light training, pushing my mileage back up has certainly been a bit of a struggle and my feet and knees are feeling it.  That said, I'm happy to be getting back on track!

On the fundraising front, I've raised just over $2,400 already!  Thank you to all who have donated!  And to those who haven't, check out my fundraising page and please consider making a donation  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment