Saturday, February 5, 2011

A little bit of adventure, a lot of inspiration

This week has been a mixture of adventure on my runs and some inspiration sent my way in the mail.  First, the adventure.  Thursday I was getting treadmill-crazy and decided that I was going to run outside in the fresh air no matter what.  I headed out for an 8-9 mile run and decided to trek along memorial drive in Cambridge.  I have to say, the view of Boston from that side of the river is arguably my favorite.  I did find, however, that the sidewalks were much worse than I had anticipated.  In other words, it was 100% ice and 0% pavement or anything other than ice.  Despite the fact that I felt like I was prancing and dancing on the ice rather than running, I carried on until I was 4.5 miles out and then turned to return home.  I was feeling confident, so I decided to try a slightly different route home that would hopefully put me on some pavement rather than the ice route back.  I soon found myself somewhere in Cambridge other than where I had thought I would end up.  I knew generally where I was, but couldn't figure out how to get back to the bridge over to Somerville.  Soon enough I was at mile 7.5 and still running circles around Cambridge, so I quickly decided that although I could likely find my way home it would probably add another 3 or 4 miles to my run that I hadn't anticipated.  At this point I was very thankful that I always run with my license, phone, and some money in my pocket in case of emergencies.  I found my way to the nearby T stop and was able to buy a ticket and catch the next train just as it was pulling up.  After changing lines, I was on the Orange Line heading home and breathing a sigh of relief.  My relief was short-lived, as at the next stop the doors to our car opened for .2 seconds and then shut as the train operator announced that the cars were filled to capacity and couldn't take anymore passengers.  The next stop came, and this time the doors to all the other cars opened normally - except my car.  The doors stayed shut.  Soon enough there were other passengers knocking and banging on the windows to the bystanders outside yelling 'Let me out!!'.  I'm sure we looked like idiots.  Then the T took off to the next stop - with several displeased passengers still stuck in my car.  At the next stop someone found the emergency intercom and began pressing it, with no response.  The man shouted into the intercom 'Car 1233 the doors are not opening!  Do you acknowledge?!'  I truly felt like I was in a movie.  But at the next stop, the doors slid open normally as if nothing had happened.  It was a good thing too, as it was North Station and there were several Bruins fans who were headed to the game.  The rest of my T ride was uneventful, and I made it home safe and sound!

My inspiration came from a note that I received in the mail today accompanying a DFMC donation.  The note came from a lady who lives down the street from my parents, and who had supported my run last year.  She wrote, "Cherie, Great picture!  Good luck this year in the marathon, it sure is a great cause.  Dana Farber research saved my life 6 years ago."  That small note manages to reach to the heart of why I'm running.  To say it made my day would be an understatement.  I could go on, but I won't - the note says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment